10 Things Everyone Should Keep in Their CarJuly 21, 2011 | in Defensive Driving Tips
A well-stocked car is a necessity for all drivers. You never know when you’ll need to make an emergency stop, when you might wander off course or when you might get into a fender-bender, just to name a few hypothetical situations. Because preparedness is so important for all drivers, the DefensiveDriving.com team has compiled a list of essential items we recommend you keep in your car year-round.*
In the glove compartment:
1. A flashlight and extra batteries, because you don’t want to risk getting stranded at night without one.
2. A disposable camera. Even though most cellphones come equipped with cameras these days, it’s a good idea to keep a disposable on hand in case you are involved in an accident and need to take pictures of the damage, license plate(s) of other cars involved, etc.
3. A prepaid calling card, because; let’s face it, no one gets cellphone service everywhere.
In your seatback pockets:
4. An atlas, because although most drivers have some sort of a GPS device, old-fashioned maps are reliable and don’t require plugging in, charging or wireless service.
5. An umbrella, because the forecast is never guaranteed.
In your trunk/luggage area:
6. Jumper cables and/or a battery jumper … just in case.
7. A tool kit, including pliers, a screwdriver, an adjustable wrench and a pair of work gloves.
8. A basic first aid kit, including a hand towel.
9. A few bungee cords, in case at any time you need to fasten anything down.
10. A safety reflector and emergency road flares, both of which are important if ever you need to pull over while driving at night.
There you have it: a list of the top 10 things you should keep in your car at all times. By following the guidelines outlined above, you’re sure to be one of the most prepared drivers on the road!
* Remember to keep your registration and insurance information with you and/or in your car at all times.← Resist the Urge for Retaliation When Cut Off | It can happen anytime and anywhere →